Best Duck Breast Evah. A combination of multiple recipes and trials. What you’ll need:
Spices: Chinese five spice powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder
Other stuff: Duck breast, olive oil, 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced, honey, and a pan that you can also stick in the oven - either stainless steel or cast iron.
1. If you can, marinate a duck breast overnight with a GENEROUS amount of Chinese five spice powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Put that sucker in the fridge.
2. If you have better things to do with your life than marinate a duck breast in the fridge 24 hours in advance, put all of that stuff together before you cook. Then give it a rubdown with 1 tablespoon honey. Set aside.
3. In the meantime, lightly coat a pan with olive oil. Turn flame to medium. Throw garlic bits in and brown. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Take your duck and score (cut about 1/2 inch down) the skin part in a cross-hatch pattern. Throw the duck, skin side down, and let sizzle on pan for 6-8 minutes or so on medium. By now your pan should be full of duck fat. Spoon it and save it for later.
5. Flip the breast over so the skin side is up. Let sizzle for a few more minutes as well, approx 5 minutes.
6. Take the pan off flame and stick in oven. Roast at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, depending on how rare you like the duck. Once done, take out of the oven and let cool and sit for 5 minutes. Cut and serve. Enjoy!